Monday, January 21, 2013

Where are the ducks?

Thursday, Jan 11, 2013
After a very nice sleep, a cold shower, and some APAP, I was ready for clinic again. Our clinic was going to be held at Duck Run 1 which made me very excited to see some ducks, because who doesn't love ducks?
Spoiler alert = there were no ducks

Duck Run 1 was located even farther than Billy White, and considering we had a different bus driver, it took forever to get there. When we got there, I couldn't believe my eyes -- there, in the middle of a green (what I later learned, the hard way) swamp stood a small building, which required a wooden ramp (that's being generous) to cross and enter the building.

To say it was cozy was an understatement. But we are NYers so we adjust and we set up our clinic and got our first patient, a lady with possible Gonorrhea. As we were dealing with the patient, a silver lining happened -- a lady who lived next door let us utilize her backyard to hold our clinics.

After attempting to (but failing) to figure out what was wrong with the women, we recommended she go visit the hospital and then went to the woman's  backyard, where we were greeted by a pair of guard turkeys and a lazy dog. Go figure.

Once we set up, we had derm/fungal case after derm/fungal case, and I can honestly say, I've never felt more useless. I couldn't even recommend anything because (1) I suck at derm (2) I should have paid more attention in our derm sections, and (3) have I mentioned I hate derm? And because of the first few derm patients that we had, my whole day went to, for lack of a better word, the dogs (we are keeping this child friendly) and I was acutely off my game. This made me very disappointed in my self and I was just glad the day was over.

That isn't to say we didn't have some interesting cases -- a man with osteomyelitis, some woman with worms in her feet (you could literally see the wormholes) -- but I was so mad and angry at myself for now knowing what to do that I couldn't truly appreciate the awesomeness of the cases. I did, however, make a very important resolution for myself: I was going to get comfortable with derm and learn to love it.

Anyway, after a while it quieted down so I had a lunch of hot dog burrito and then hung out at the pharmacy with Herbie, Hunter, and Dani to get away from it all and that made me feel a tad better. Interestingly enough, a truck got stuck near our clinic, so, because we are now get-the-vehicle-out-of-mud experts, they helped the person get the truck out.

This reminds me of a case that we had at Billy White which I forgot to write about. A 60 year old diabetic lady had a stroke a few weeks earlier and came in because of severe right eye pain. At least I remembered that diabetics with strokes need aspirin...but then we didn't know which kind of stroke it was so there went that idea.

The day was extremely hot, so we were driven to an Amish ice cream shop, where I had two delicious scoops of coffee ice cream in a delicious cone. Our drive home was relatively slow and therefore there was very little air current.

In case we didn't have enough ice cream, that night we went to Cayo Twist, a soy ice cream place where the sign said "Non-diary (NOT a typo on my behalf) ice cream. Good for the whole family, EVEN DIABETICS." Who knew that ice cream comes from paper? I had an oreo milk shake, which was, to tell you the truth, a bit disappointing. After that, we went to Karaoke and I was very...impressed with our group's singing abilities. Rx Joe is Eminem reincarnated and I was honestly very amazed. Other people were well...they should just not sing.

Our theme song (Danzo Kudro) played and we all danced and then the boys did a rendition of "I Like Big Butts", but the girls outdid them in that song.

After some very 'interesting' dance moves by our group members, we all went to bed. Not in the same bed, because we weren't that close (but I suspect towards the end of the trip, none of us would have cared if we had to sleep on one bed).

No comments:

Post a Comment