Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Seven Miles, and then some

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013

When we were still learning about the course and what we would be doing in Belize, I was very excited about doing house visits, because it seemed like an even greater direct patient care experience. After finishing all our clinics and then learning we would actually do house visits for the whole day (or so we thought), I was very excited.

Our house visits were going to be held at Seven Miles, which was, interestingly enough, more than seven miles from us. As always we split up into two groups, and my group was the awesome one, simply for the fact that I was there (I kid, it was all due to the fact that the Canadian was there. No I kid again. We just had Eliu,and therefore we were awesome).

We went to about three houses, and it wasn't anything like I thought it would be, but we helped a few people, so that's all that really matters. After another coconut break, we drove to Hode's Place, a restaurant where we had a nice second lunch of Buffalo chicken, fries, and an Orange Fanta and discussed what we wanted to change or make better about the course. I think I'll address some of that in the final blog post.

After a bit of hanging out, we went back to our host families and we just hung out and chatted about life and just stuff.

At night we had a drumming lesson, except it wasn't really a lesson, more like a demonstration of Garifuna drumming and singing. The Garifuna have a very interesting history, and if you want something to read, I suggest you go ahead and do that. One of the songs that we 'sang' along to a song called Weyu Larigi Weyu, which translates to day by day. It was pretty cool, not gonna lie. I would post a video from Herbie's camera, but he's claiming I'm stealing his stuff so you can just go to his blog and find the cool video.

After that, we did some more Punta, because apparently you can't have enough Punta. This time, we punta'd in a conga line, and it was pretty...entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment