Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Taking it Easy

Monday, Jan 14, 2013

So its been a week since we have been in Belize (just go with it, okay?), and our clinics are mostly done and so is all of our hard work; now we are about to embark on the 'fun' week, a week where we can just take mental pictures and videos of the ambiance and surrounding areas, which will travel with us for the rest of our lives and service us when we most need it - right before exams.

Before we could get to that though, we had to teach elementary school kids about a variety of topics -- Hepatitis A, head lice, proper hand hygiene, and teeth brushing.

My group was assigned proper hand hygiene  and I was very thankful because it seemed like a very easy topic. We came up with a small skit and Cecilia had a hand washing song; we visited three classrooms and the only one that really worked out nicely was the last one. I think Rx Joe recorded out skit, so when I get a video of that, I'll upload it. Basically the skit was this: Cecilia was an infected person who sneezed and I was the big evil germ, out to infect Tiffany. As I was making my way, Trader Joe and Twilly  pretended to be soap and water and destroyed me.

I think I deserved an Oscar for my performance, but I guess I'm the Leonardo DiCaprio of Elementary skit acting.

After some unfortunate (but very funny) collisions with the gate, we played around with some puppies, had a nasty watermelon gummy, and we went back to Proworld. Herbie, Hunter, and I went to my house so that I could change, and then after climbing some very exhausting hills in the blazing heat, we arrived at their humble abode. There, they changed and then we went to the ProWorld pool, where, even though I put on sunscreen, my back turned an unnatural shade of brown.

We spent a few hours by the pool, sipping cold coffees from Sweet Tings (until said coffee was overrun with ants) and just talked and enjoyed the view. Now, as I'm sitting in the lecture hall, listening to the mixture of sounds, from the clatter of laptops being dropped on the desk to the sniffles of sick noses trying to fight their way to get air, I remember sitting in the pool, with the warm sun burning my back and all the conversations we had,  and I immediately feel more at ease.

Later on, we all left, had dinner, and went out...well not all of us, because some people got pretty sick. Lets just say that the events of that night are going to stay in my head for many many reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment