Sunday, January 20, 2013

Jumping the border

Jan 6, 2013
On our tour of San Ignacio, we saw a sign for a trip to Guatemala. Considering our Sunday was going to be free, we decided that we should go not only because it was going to get us more stamps in our passports, but also because we would be able to visit Tikal and Flores.

We agreed to meet up at an ungodly hour (6:45am) at Proworld, but considering it was Belize, it took about another hour and a half until everyone got there. Lets just say that slow clapping was involved. After playing our fees, we got into vans and made our way towards the border, totally didn't feel sketchy.

If I can say one thing about Guatemala, it is that the roads are extremely bumpy and I felt really bad for the tall people on the trip.

After about another hour and a half, we started getting towards Tikal; we made a pit stop at some kind of store and had Guatemalan coffee; needless to say, we all jumped on the bandwagon and bought like a pound of coffee.

Then we got there - -Tikal.
We got out of our vans and made our way towards to ruins. On the way, we saw this monstrous, white tree -- the Ceiba tree -- which was (and still is) considered to be sacred to the Maya. Cue GRRM reference number one.

I'll be the first to admit that I am a tree hugger and when I saw this gigantic tree, I was astounded. This feeling of looking at something thousands of thousands years old makes you feel really small and unimportant.

On the way, we saw a spider monkey (it was no Howler monkey, but at least it was a monkey) and a woodpecker.


I'll just dump a bunch of pictures from the ruins, and then I'll make my comments. For right now, I just want you (YES YOU) to sit back in your chair of choice and imagine seeing this up close -- touching and walking on land and stones that thousands of years ago, people walked, played, and died on.











That last video is from the 150-foot temple/pyramid thingy. 

As we were on our way to the highest point, we heard a monstrous yell -- I swear to Merlin it sounded like a dinosaur. But alas, it was not a dinosaur, but a howler monkey. I think I might find the sound and make it my alarm. 

I have to say, that when I saw the first ruin (which was very tiny honesty and not in this picture set), my breath caught. As we kept walking, I kept on thinking about all the people that have lived and walked here and I just got stuck in mid-step and just let it all sink in. Its an indescribable feeling to know that many people probably died making these monuments. I'm really not that good with words, but the feeling up there is indescribable. 

Post Tikal, we went to a small 'restaurant' and had some 'lunch'. I'm very surprised none of us got sick from eating the food. After our most scrumptious lunch, we made our way towards Flores, a man-made island.




It had a very Spanish feel to it. While some people were swimming, Dr. G decided to give a whistling tutorial. I do not have the video but here are the steps for anyone who is in need of whistling:

1. Pucker your lips like you are about to kiss a fish
2. Lick your lips, but not like you are French kissing someone, just slightly
3. Put your tongue near your top teeth
4. ????
5. Blow and Profit

When we were about to leave, a parade for Christo Negro started; this was by far, the weirdest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Teenagers with masks were chasing young kids with belts and then beating them. Needless to say, we were all very excited about going back to Belize at that point. 

Overall, the in Guatemala was very exciting and extremely hilarious. 

Four out of five stars, would definitely (yet another word I have issues spelling) recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment